CAN'T SEE THE FOREST FOR THE TREESHow to sew a group of beautifully realistic trees,
Half-Day Workshop with
Mary L. Hackett
600 Country Club Lane
Carterville, IL 62918-1629 USA
to use in wall hangings, pillows, garments, or any way you like!
Kit includes materials needed (except thread) to learn and practice the main techniques shown. If you are new to the skill of sewing with clear nylon or polyester thread, please practice so you can enjoy the day more.
Please bring nylon or polyester thread in clear or smoke color, and bobbins filled with a neutral-dark thread.
If you are an eager quilter (my kinda gal or guy) you may want to "branch out" (make more than the one sample). If so, these additional items are suggested:
- Fabric that reminds you of sky (watch the sky: is it always blue?), fat 1/4
- Fabric that will contrast with your sky, and that reminds you of tree bark; mottled dark cottons or batiks are especially good, fat 1/4
- About 12 x 18 piece of cotton batting or fusible polyester batting (fleece)
- Fat 1/4 of a firm fabric for backing, such as canvas, duck, or a scrap of upholstery fabric
- Sewing machine in good working order (know how to use it, please!)
- Walking foot recommended, but not required
- Comfort stuff such as a chair cushion, personal light, extension cord, your own small rotary cutting set, etc. (all optional)
- Basic sewing kit, including pins, marking tools, safety pins for basting, scissors, etc. You know the drill!
- Small sharp scissors, stiletto or long-handled seam ripper, tweezers
- Useful but not required: Value finder, reducing glass, small planning board, note-taking supplies, pencils, scissors for paper
Return to Workshop page