NAKED TREESHow to sew beautifully realistic tree silhouettes,
Half-Day Workshop with
Mary L. Hackett
600 Country Club Lane
Carterville, IL 62918-1629 USA
to use in any way you like!
Kit includes materials needed (except thread) to learn and practice the main techniques shown. If you are new to the skill of free-motion sewing with the feed dog dropped, please practice so you can enjoy the day more.
Please bring black cotton thread (lots of it), and bobbins filled with black thread. Also bring 1 or 2 sheets of tracing paper, to copy Mary's tree patterns.
If you are an eager quilter (my kinda gal or guy) you may want to "branch out". If so, these additional items are suggested:
- Solid black cotton fabric (fat quarter will do)
- Fabric that reminds you of sky (watch the sky: is it always blue?), fat 1/4
- Small piece of black nylon netting or tulle
- Stabilizer (tear-away, freezer paper, deli or typing paper)
- About 12 x 18 piece of cotton batting or fusible polyester batting (fleece)
- Fat 1/4 of a firm fabric for backing, such as canvas, duck, or a scrap of upholstery fabric
- Sewing machine in good working order (know how to use it, please!) with ability to drop or cover feed dog
- Darning foot, open-toe applique' foot, or spring needle
- Ultra-Fine Point black Sharpie marker and Fray Check
- Comfort stuff such as a chair cushion, personal light, extension cord, your own small rotary cutting set, etc. (all optional)
- Basic sewing kit, including pins, marking tools, safety pins for basting, scissors, etc. You know the drill!
- Applique' scissors, stiletto or long-handled seam ripper, tweezers
- Useful but not required: Value finder, reducing glass, small planning board, note-taking supplies, pencils, scissors for paper
Return to Workshop page